The most interesting features about social media is the ability to get insights which you might don’t know even existed. All the tons of communities, activities, conversations and campaigns – every single thing can be broken down into different segments of your choice so that you can trend on social media accordingly.
The question is, how you will be extracting all the data and information of users / fans on social media that relates to your interests and services you offer. Furthermore, how these large chunks of data can be utilized in such a way that can bring fruitful results on social media.
The answer is simply the “Social Media Monitoring”. For each brand and individual, social media monitoring is the only tool through which you can access all those insights and keep an eye on important data segments that you think can be useful on social media.
For the newbies out there, “social media listening” is basically the technical term that points toward social media monitoring. It is very important for an individual or even the brand to design mindful strategies in order to extract the useful insights. No matter what, social media monitoring strategies will ultimately assist you to extract your conversations and help you understand the knowledge that can be applied for in designing of forthcoming strategies.
Step # 1: What Things Need to Be Monitored:
In order to keep an hawk eye on your social media campaigns it is very important to shortlist the key factors that need to be monitored. At the same time, you also need to have basic understanding about what the types of results that won’t be able to bring the best results. The combination of both, useful data & understanding of useless data, can lead to a successful social media monitoring and can be the starting point of your strategies.
Company or Brand Monitoring:
- Your Brand or company name.
- Any variation that relates to your brand name. (For example, someone would like to monitor “buffer” & “Bufferapp”)
- Potential misspellings of the brand name.
- Name of most visible / active members of the company.
- Your tagline, slogan or catchphrase.
Industry or Topic Monitoring:
- The potential phrases or keywords that identify / describe the industry of your interest. The example for being that, if someone is at BUFFER – that individual would most probably like to monitor keywords like “social media posting”, “social media automation”, or “social media posting” to start out.
- Hashtags are yet another an important key factor that can’t be neglected especially when it comes to social media. It is very important for you to extract such hashtags that are relevant to your industry.
Step # 2: Choosing The Right Tool For Social Media Monitoring:
You might have convinced yourself by now that social media monitoring is the key aspect that certainly can’t be over – looked especially if you want to dominate the leads through online means. The next big step is choosing the right tool to monitor your social media trends. Well, it is quite a sensitive task because choosing the wrong monitoring tool can lead you to disastrous situations onto which no one would like to face.
On SERPS, there are hundreds of social media monitoring tools available with the shout – out of being the best among all. This makes the situation even more confusing. To make things easier and rule out confusions, we have gathered a list of top – notch social media monitoring tools that are at the top of industry, as we speak.
Step # 3: What Exactly You Need to Look For? Finding the Results:
The most adventurous thing about social media is that you’ll be having new sets of data each day. Basically, you don’t know what’s coming your way tomorrow – just like fishing. All you need to is to wait and see what’s the best thing that bites on that day.
On the other hand, if you look at the wider picture – this day to day change in data can bring major opportunities for you to dominate on social media. All you need is to strike hard but at the right moment. Such opportunities can be opted by creating new content pieces, building relationships with others, offering services / product or whatever that suits best according to the need and circumstances.
Since you have now got wide range of data sets for your social media, all you need is to explore the opportunities now. You might come across different set of opportunities that could be :
- Go through the sentiments of people that are directly or even indirectly relating to your services / products. Can you detect a pattern of negative & positive comments? See what you can do to turn negative sentiments of people into positive ones.
- Key Learning: This is the most important metric that you might need to monitor on monthly basis.
- In same way, feedback over your services / products by your consumers is yet another an important aspect to explore. You need to take them formally and in some case you may need to track the whole conversations on twitter. There’s no need of countering your consumers’ feedback – listening is important.
- Did you ever stop for a second and notice that people are asking some frequent questions about the services or products being offered by you? Maybe, it is the perfect opportunity to design a FAQ content piece.
- For the search engine optimization, you need to be extra careful and see who’s linking to your content and what type of websites are pointing towards your products and services.
Step # 4: What’s Next? Communicate & Refine:
Once you start to have results through social media monitoring, the next step is to refine your searches to a bit hone in order to extract better results. Don’t forget, there’s always rooms for experimentation. You can always add or subtract data segments to be more efficient and accurate.
Remember “data always speak”! once you gather large data of pool, all you need is to synthesize the pipeline for workflow. Always ensure that the larger pool of information never gets dry. The consistent flow of data can make your brain click at any spot, even if you are a small company.